May 14, 2020 3 min read
Hi everybody, and welcome to a new NIL-Tech drawing tutorial: "Pikachu". Probably the most popular Pokémon, Pikachu is the iconic mascot that made the Japanese pocket monster franchise world famous. Ever since its introduction in 1996, the 25th Pokémon on the Pokédex has obtained fans worldwide and has become a significant part of pop culture.
1. "Pika" is the Japanese word for the noise of electricity crackling. "Chu" is how the Japanese describe the sound a computer mouse makes. That's how the name "Pikachu" was created.
2. In Japan, Pikachu is the equivalent of the USA's Mickey Mouse. People are usually hired to go to public locations in a Pikachu costume, such as shopping malls and also amusement parks, to entertain the children.
3. In the anime, Ash's Pikachu is male. You can tell since a female Pikachu has a dent at the end of its tail.
4. It evolves from Pichu when leveled up with high happiness. Pikachu evolves into Raichu when exposed to a Thunderstone.
5. In the Pokémon video game franchise, Pikachu is the only non-flying Pokémon that can learn the move Fly, through special events.
In this tutorial, we used the following supplies:
Step 1. Draw 2 squares, one upon another. Then draw a circle inside each square and the diagonals of the squares.
Step 2. Draw a vertical middle line across the diagonals and two horizontal lines crossing both squares in the center. Then draw a straight line just under them.
Step 3. Drawing legs. Draw round Pikachu thighs in the lower half of the lower square and his tiny feet under them with a small oval and a cane-shaped line.
Drawing arms sketch. Draw 2 circles in between the two squares (these are the shoulders)and 2 basic line arms.
Step 4. Draw ovals over the arm lines and complete the arms with rounded hands.
Sketch a rectangular area in which all the facial features will be drawn and the line across it slightly below midway.
Step 5. Then draw the round cheeks and the eyes in the upper corners of the rectangle with the shine dots.
Step 6. Draw the mouth and nose.
Step 7. Draw 2 small circles on the top of the head - a base for the ears. Draw the length of the ears and oval thickness over it.
Step 8. Outline the basic shape of the tail. Then draw lines roughly parallel to the vertical ones and a long line at the tip of the tail. Add tapering lines to the horizontal ones at the tail.
Step 9. Add tapering lines to the horizontal ones at the tail and outline the whole silhouette with an HB pencil.
Step 10. Hatch Pikachu with a light yellow pencil as in the example.
Step 11. Add shading near the contours to create volume (medium yellow pencil), and hatch the cheeks (red pencil).